Sunday, January 3, 2010

Vegetable Soup and Cornbread



I love the holidays--spending time with family, cuddling with the dogs, sleeping in, seeing friends, and eating delicious food. However, this last item means that sometimes I don't feel my healthiest when I get back to Brooklyn. After many donuts, lasagnas, and take out meals, I feel pretty...urp. Yes, "urp" is probably the best way to describe it. It's that slight tightening of the pants, a bit of lethargy and occasional discomfort. Urp.

Tonight I just wanted to do something light. I know the man was hesitant about soup as the main dish (not really a soup kinda guy), but I was able to convince him otherwise. He really liked it. This meal, unintentionally, is a fall-themed meal. I think I am getting a little tired of winter. I am more of a "summer" person. Sorry. I had to. We also had some yummy raspberries as a side. Saltines made eating the soup fun.

Vegetable Soup
tomato, onion, carrots, celery, corn, green beans, kidney beans
-melt 4 tbsp of butter in a deep pan
-Using a food processor (which I now own!), chop up some fresh onion, celery, carrots, and tomato. Depending on the season, you can also chop fresh corn and green beans. I used canned corn and green beans, however.
-Once the butter is melted, which should be quickly, add all the vegetables and 1 can of kidney beans into the pot. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, mixing occasionally so nothing gets too brown.
-After 10 minutes, pour in 4 cups (1 box) of chicken broth. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes or less depending on how much time you have. I bought free-range chicken broth... I suggest you do the same. Serve hot! (not scalding). Salt and pepper to taste if you like. Pet peeve - don't salt or pepper anything until AFTER you taste it in it's original form! It's more polite.





















Cornbread

I actually had never made cornbread. It's so easy, and yummy, and all that is right.

-1 1/4 cup flour
-1 cup of cornmeal
-1/4 cup of sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp of salt
-1 cup of skim milk
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1 beaten egg

Mix all together! I cooked mine in a muffin tin but you could also use a standard 8 X 8 pan. Make sure you butter the pan before so it doesn't stick. Cook at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Now that looks like a perfect snowy night supper. The cornbread is a wonderful side with it. I also have started the New Year off with eating better. All it takes is one or two days of healthy eating and cutting back portions, and the energy is back.

    ReplyDelete