Monday, January 4, 2010

Orrechiette Pasta with Sweet Italian Sausage and Jalapenos



This dish was inspired by Trinity Restaurant (not affiliated with Trinity College). I ate there a few times in college and this dish was really yummy. So yummy in fact, that I recall a devastating afternoon when I heard the loud crash of a plate and then the waiter asked "who ordered the orrechiette?" It was painful. Normally it would call for broccoli rabe, but when I went to buy it at the store it looked a little funky. Therefore I used spinach leaves instead. However, if you have more trustworthy greens at your supermarket you may want to try that. Damn you Hannaford's-you are so fertile.

Ingredients
Orrechiette pasta
Sweet Italian sausage
Jalapenos
Shredded Romano cheese (something sharp tastes best)
Spinach leaves (or broccoli rabe)

Boil the pasta ("little ears" in Italian). Heat/Cook the sausage. Just before the pasta is done cooking, throw in the spinach leaves. The only problem is that the spinach shrinks... perhaps one of my followers has some advice. You can hardly see the spinach in this dish even though I added quite a few leaves. Maybe next time I should just add more. Once you have drained the pasta, throw in the cut up jalapenos and the cheese. Serve all together on a plate!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I will most certainly be making this one. Yes, spinach shrinks to almost nothing, the secret is adding WAY more than you think it could possibly take, then add a little more still. I'm shopping at Hannafords tomorrow so I'm adding the ingredients to my list. Cooking good food is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night for dinner and had the leftovers tonight. It was delicious and hot. Think I will make it for Mr. Phil Courcy some night as he is a HOT food fanatic. It's a very fast meal to make, especially when you break up the sausage before cooking. The peppers make it!!

    ReplyDelete