Friday, January 15, 2010

Spaghetti Bolognese




Meat. Tomatoes. Spaghetti. All is right in the world. Like Forrest Gump, I have nothing more to say about that.

I cooked for myself and the man and had leftover for 1 or small 2, so you can do the math of what you would need.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 can of crush tomatoes + extra tomatoes OR some diced tomatoes OR some tomato paste OR some tomato sauce. Whatever is floating in your cupboard. When I did this I only had the 1 can of crushed tomatoes and while it was really good I still wanted a little more sauce when I was eating.
1 carrot or several baby carrots
1 onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 stick of celery
chopped basil leaves
1 lb spaghetti
love


Turn on the heat to boil pasta water in a large pan. In a large skillet, saute some chopped onion (I used about 1/4 a large onion) and 1 or 2 cloves of garlic with olive oil. This makes the house smell sooo good. I let it saute for at least 5 minutes, until the onion was definitely soft. Chop up the carrot and celery and toss with the onion and garlic. Let this cook for another 5 minutes or so. Feel free to add any other veggies you have, but these ones are mandatory.

Add about 3/4 a pound of the beef. Mine was very meaty even without the other 1/4. Keep moving the meat and trying to prevent chunks until all the pink is gone. At this point your pasta water should be boiling and you should start to cook the pasta.



Once all the pink is gone from your meat, add your chunks of tomatoes and all your other ingredients. It will thicken as time passes. Keep stirring until your pasta is ready.

Serve!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get this recipe Sum, looks delicious and healthy too. Like the idea of the carrots. I have heard that carrots cut the acid in the tomotoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've had bolognese quite a few times (Bologna) so I just googled some recipes. A lot of what I found was kind of complicated and had tons of ingredients, so I just simplified it.

    ReplyDelete