Monday, April 26, 2010

Penne Arrabbiata



Mmm. I had this in Rome a few times, once with Valentina, and it's delicious - if you like food with a little heat (hence the arrabbiata). I got most of this recipe on a box - but some of the measurements weren't quite right. So I tweaked and stretched and created the following.

For 3 (or 2 if one love love has a big appetite)

Ingredients:
1/2 lb Penne
1/2 cup diced bacon
1.5 tbsp butter
1 cup of pureed tomatoes
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic
3 basil leaves chopped
1 small hot pepper (a slice of a hot cherry pepper works well)

In a pan, saute the garlic clove in the butter and then remove. Add diced bacon and let it brown for a few minutes. Then add the tomato puree and mix together. Place the hot pepper in the middle of the skillet and then cover it. Keep it on very low and stir once in awhile. The directions I used (De Cecco) said to leave the pepper in the whole time, but I got nervous it would be too spicy for my Scottish lover so I removed it after about 10 minutes. You could probably leave it the whole time though. Anyway, while this is still over low heat, get the water boiling for the penne. You really do want to wait until now because the sauce needs about 20 minutes to really form to a good consistency (the picture below is when I just started - need 20 mins to thicken). Cook your penne and serve with your sauce (don't forget to remove the pepper - that could be an ugly surprise!). Garnish with the basil. Sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano on top. Yum! great flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment