Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veggie and Black Bean Quesadilla



I've eaten a lot of quesadillas in my day. There was that two year stint of vegetarianism... plus there is my sister. When I think of her, and add food, it equals quesadillas. I think this was one of the first things she learned how to make on the stove. During our high school years we would usually have 4 meals a day. The third one, once we got home, was usually something Mexican (bean covered tostitos and salsa, chips and velveeta cheese with chicken and salsa.... anything with salsa). Then I would watch Kids in the Hall. Although, I sometimes ate a cheese, pickle and smart food sandwich as well, but I grew to 5'5" by my thirteenth birthday so you must excuse my insatiable/twisted palate.

Anyway, she has had many years to excel in her quesadilla making art so most of what I have below was probably stolen from her. Anyway, here is what I've got:

Ingredients:
Chopped veggies like peppers, onion, carrot and celery
Black beans
Cheddar cheese or whatever you prefer
Medium salsa if you have a Scottish boy like I do. Or hot if all eaters can handle it. (first time I made this for him I used hot... sweat poured down his forehead the whole time but he refused to stop... that's when I knew he really loved me)
Flour tortillas

In addition, you can add already cooked beef or cooked chicken strips.

On a large grill pan place your tortilla. You will only cover one half of the tortilla and then fold it over. So fill that half with the ingredients listed above. I like to throw some jalapenos in for good measure but you know your own limits.

Fold over the tortilla and fill another tortilla next to it. You can cook two on a grill. Cook for about 10 minutes on the stove top and eat!

There is something really comforting about hot beans and melted cheese. It's like... chocolate is there to fill your lonely little soul.. but Mexican food is there to fill your lonely little stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment