Monday, October 19, 2009

Tortellini with Pancetta, Peas and Broccoli




If you are anything like me, you aren't a huge salad person. Although... it seems like most people do like salad. Of course, I don't have anything against those who are salad fans, it's just that I personally have a hard time swallowing fresh spinach. For some reason the gag reflex is just triggered. Maybe I ate too much lemon grass in my yard when I was a kid. I'm jealous of people who actually like salads, I wonder if I am missing something. I try to eat them to be polite, but they just aren't me. Soooo, I need to make up for all those nutrients by getting lots of veggies in my other dishes.

With that tirade aside...My mom gave me a version of this recipe (from Relish) the other day and it was a big hit with the man. I always know if it's a success because the table is silent for about 5 minutes-always a good sign.

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
4 ounces or more of diced pancetta (can just buy it at the store like this)
about 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp salt and 1 tsp of pepper
1 lb cheese tortellini (I suggest the multicolored pack)
1 cup of frozen peas
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets (I never get the buttered kind...gross)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (wow, apparently I have spelled "Parmesian" wrong my whole life)

(serves about 5) Cook the tortellini. While the water is boiling...Put the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the pancetta until it starts getting crisp (less than 10 mins). Then add the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper...it should begin to smell delicious. In the meantime the tortellini should be cooking. Before it is fully cooked (say when you have 2 more minutes to go) add in the peas and broccoli. The peas will float and the broccoli will go bye-bye below the pasta. Then, dump out the excess water and mix everything together! Feast! Add more cheese if you like.

Sorry for the image quality. This picture is from my cellphone. Definitely eat it with some red wine. The food...not my cellphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment