Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mama's Meatballs


This is Mama's so you know it has to be good.

This will make a lot...but its so good who cares.

Mix the following all together in a large bowl:
-1 pound of hamburger meat (Not the veal mix! Save the baby cows!). Try to let it sit out a little so it's not as cold. Either way your hands will get pretty numb.
-about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
-1 egg
-3 pieces of white bread with their crusts peeled off. Soak these in milk and then squeeze most of the milk out (two squeezes is fine).
-1 Tbsp of cornstarch
-dash of crushed red pepper flakes
-less than a teaspoon of salt
-a dash of pepper and parsley.

Mix all together with your hands and roll into balls. About an inch in diameter or bigger if you don't mind cooking them longer. Put them on a tin-foil covered pan and cook in the oven until brown.

You can use these for meatball subs with melted provolone cheese or with spaghetti and red sauce. If you are cooking them for spaghetti drop them in the sauce before serving. Enjoy the comfort...the bread is what makes it! mmm

A friend of mine's mother adds grape jelly for an extra sweetness - try it if you are feeling adventurous!

3 comments:

  1. I made these meatballs two sundays ago for the Pat's game and they were delicious! (I must tell you...I used the veal mix...forgive me) but oh my lord my hands got so cold while I was mixing them that they actually hurt! I brought them to boyfriend's house in homemade red sauce and we scooped them into toasted sub rolls with melted provolone cheese and sprinkled some mozzarella and parmesan on top. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one question..did you bake them or broil them? what temp?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I baked them! I'll give you a temp soon, I think 350, but I currently am all wrapped up in a blanket and unable to move. I need to get a fuzzy or a woozie, or whatever they call those sweater blankets.

    ReplyDelete