Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wild Berry-Glazed Chicken with Spinach

This was a great dish! I again was inspired by something I saw in Real Simple, but I decided to change it up a little bit. The original recipe called for red-currant preserves instead of mixed berry preserves and golden raisins instead of candied pecans. I couldn't find red-currant preserves at the supermarket, although they did have black-currant preserves. I didn't know really what I was getting myself into though, and I fearfully pictured some horrendous tasting black chicken that would cause Dan to run for the hills. As for the pecans, well, I explain that below. They are DELICIOUS and I had to try it. So glad I did.



Ingredients (Serves 2):
-1/2 cup mixed-jelly preserves (or other type)
-a dash of crushed red pepper
-2 pieces of bone-in and skin-on chicken
-a few tbsps of olive oil
-salt and pepper
-1 clove of garlic sliced
-1/2 cup of candied pecans (recipe below) or golden raisins for ease
-1 5oz package of fresh spinach

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the preserves and red pepper.

Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet (my interpretation of this is a cake pan, am I wrong? oh well) and rub it with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Bake it until it is cooked through, probably about 30 minutes or more. After about 25 mins baste it with the jelly mixture. I just brushed mine on with a pastry brush.

While the chicken finishes cooking, heat some more olive oil in a large frying pan. Toss in the sliced garlic and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Enjoy the smell, mmmm. Add the spinach and toss it until it wilts. Serve this with the chicken and with the candied pecans on top. yum. yum. yum. GREAT meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment