Sunday, February 21, 2010

Isaac's Mom's Cookies



This woman knows how to bake. These cookies were quickly devoured so I found a picture as close as possible to the delicacy rendered by Dee. It's funny though, I thought it would be easy to find a picture of a similar cookie, but none looked just right. Either they were too light colored, or too crackly looking... I did the best I could visually. After looking at about 300 cookies I had to settle.

Ingredients:
1+1/2 sticks unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
large spoonful (can be 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup) nutella
1 egg (I use jumbo)
2 oz. (4 Tbls) milk
1+1/2 tsp vanilla
2+1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
lots of chips (I use at least 1+1/2 bags)
lots of Heath bits 'o brickle toffee bits

In mixer, cream butter and sugars very well. Add the nutella, beating until smooth. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla.

Combine (you can sift if you want, but I never do) the flour, baking soda and salt.

Beating slowly, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until well combined.

By hand, mix in the chocolate chips and toffee bits.

Bake in a 375 oven for 8 minutes exactly. Impt: Do not overbake. Take out even if they don't look cooked. The centers might even look a little bit uncooked. They will cook a little more as they cool.

I sometimes make the batter and freeze it (or part of it). It freezes very well, but needs a few hours to defrost before you bake.

1 comment:

  1. That was a valiant effort finding a cookie picture to use. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete